- Biological- Activity and energy levels: from lethargy to hyper activity
- Emotional- Feelings and mood: excitability, frustration tolerance
- Cognitive- Attention and focus, sequencing, memory, distractability, impulse control
- Social- social situations and cues
- Prosocial- empathy,engaging in positive behaviours to promote friendship and appropriate social behaviour
Disruptions in any of the above listed domains results in children needing to either up regulate (increase their energy level) or down regulate (decrease energy levels). Examples of children needing to up regulate are: children who are constantly feeling tired or sad. Examples for children needing to down regulate are: children who are constantly hyper and keyed up.