Our Play Therapy services:
- Offer a warm, gentle, flexible approach where a traditional therapeutic relationship is developed between therapist and child.
- Is beneficial for children with more complex needs or multiple needs, or children who have not engaged in other forms of therapy.
- Play is the natural way children learn. Play therapy is a way of assisting children to learn new emotional, behavioural, and cognitive skills quickly using their innate learning style.
- Is in a clinic with a child expert with a dedicated focus on play therapy. We have a fully stocked play therapy room with multiple modalities (crafts, arts, puppets, toys, books, videos, sand tray, etc.) and use evidence-based approaches.
- Allow for screening and referral for further assessment and evaluation as needed.
- Offer a safe place for a child to come and express themselves.
- Therapeutic progress can be as quick or slow as required for the individual child. Parental support can accelerate the progress of therapy.
- Work can be done proactively without directly addressing the issues with the child (i.e. parents reports sexual abuse but does not know how aware the child is of the event).
Play therapy is generally done with children between the ages of 3 and 11. Play therapy can facilitate children with learning skills for a variety of childhood problems including:
- Social Skills
- Toileting issues (enuresis and encopresis)
- Children experiencing numerous strong emotions at one time
- Children with learning disabilities
If you are interested in play therapy you may also want to look at our CPRT program
Contact us today! Call 705-735-9107 for more information on our play therpay sessions.